Early Years Services
needs your helpCONNECT
Early Years Services
Cape Flats, Western Cape
Early Years Services
needs your helpCONNECT
We help ECD Practitioners,Caregivers,Youth and Parents by providing training towards FASD and Substance Abuse
More about my Cause
ABOUT EARLY YEARS SERVICES
Early Years Services is a registered Non-Profit Organisation with registration number 038-601-NPO, a registered Public Benefit Organisation and an accredited service provider with the ETDP-SETA. We were established in 2005 in response to the expressed needs within the ECD sector. We realised the need for a national service provider that would focus on development work and the effective management and governance of ECD facilities and non-profit organisations especially in the rural and urban areas. Also, a desperate need was realised in the Rural and some Urban areas around Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and Substance Abuse Awareness training.
We believe that we can increase the provision of ECD in South Africa and improve the quality of ECD through the establishment of sustainable partnerships and networks; capacity building and skills development; upgrading of ECD facilities and infrastructure development; resource provision.
ECD FOETAL ALCOHOL SYNDROME (FAS) AND SUBSTANCE ABUSE TRAINING PROGRAMME
Programme Name: ECD Foetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) and Substance Abuse training programme
To provide ECD practitioners, caregivers, home-based carers, parents, young people and family members with training towards Substance Abuse Awareness and Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and how to handle and work these specific children in order to make them part of the centres daily activities, to ensure optimal functioning and development of children with learning disabilities.
1. Early Intervention:
Teachers and other caregivers of children cannot diagnose FASDs. Due to the extensive range of disorders across the spectrum, many children will remain undiagnosed all their lives. Whether a child is diagnosed or not, the teacher or caregiver can learn to recognise physical and behavioural characteristics of a child affected by alcohol and plan an appropriate intervention programme. To do this they will need to be equipped with the skills to gather information about the children enrolled in their programmes, as well as to carefully observe each child.
Early interventions targeted to both child and the family can help offset the effects of children’s behavioural, emotional and cognitive problems.
A home environment that is not nurturing will have a negative impact on the child’s development. Early childhood programmes need to focus on strengthening and supporting families of children experiencing barriers to learning and specifically those affected by FASDs and most importantly, involve them in the goals and plan for their child’s development.
• To ensure substance abuse awareness at a very early stage.
• To skill ECD practitioners in interventions for individual children affected by substance abuse and especially FAS that are appropriate to their level of functioning.
• To help ECD practitioners identify behavioural characteristics indicative of possible substance abuse and FAS in individual children.
• To Highlight and strengthen inclusion practice for all children facing barriers to learning and their families in early childhood programmes.
• To help practitioners and caregivers identify physical, social and emotional and cognitive characteristics of children experiencing barriers to learning, and specifically those characteristics indicative of possible FAS in individual children experiencing barriers to learning and specifically
• To identify referral resources for diagnosis of possible FAS and other substance abuses.
• To help prevent substance abuse and especially FAS by providing education and support to ECD practitioners, caregivers, home-based carers, parents and family members.
• To skill practitioners and caregivers in goal-setting and interventions for individual children experiencing barriers to learning and specifically for children affected by FAS that are appropriate to their level of functioning.
• To improve and strengthen the child’s home learning environment.
Training and Support Programme
• Recruitment of learners:
• Actual training sessions: Five (5) full-day workshops @ 25 - 30 learners per workshop
• Support visits, mentoring and coaching
ORIENTATION, TRAINING, ON-SITE VISITS AND CERTIFICATION DAY
EdupegCape Town, Western Cape
We help promote quality education in primary schools by supporting and mentoring teachers in their classrooms.
READ to RISESouthern Suburbs, Western Cape
We help learners in Mitchells Plain and Soweto by inspiring them to read and giving them new books.
Camphill SchoolOverberg , Western Cape
We help children with intellectual and other disabilities by providing support and education
Anna Foundation (Langeberg)Cape Winelands, Western Cape
We help disadvantaged children living on farms by providing education, sports and life skills programmes.
Bright Start Education Support ProgrammeAtlantic Seaboard, Western Cape
We help children by facilitating access to education and by providing a holistic mentoring package for families.
The School Turnaround FoundationSouthern Suburbs, Western Cape
We help learners and educators at disadvantaged schools by setting personal targets and engaging them in learning.
IkamvaYouth - Western CapeCape Flats, Western Cape
We help empowering the youth by using education, e-literacy training & career guidance
The Reading RoomSouthern Suburbs, Western Cape
We help learners with reading assistance by offering one-on-one reading sessions.
Shine LiteracySouthern Suburbs, Western Cape
We help primary school children from disadvantaged communities by helping them with their reading and writing skills
KidsCan! After School Care CentreOverberg, Western Cape
We help children after school by individual academic and life skills support
Partners for PossibilityNorthern Suburbs, Western Cape
We help lead transformation in education by developing the leadership skills of school principals
Pikkewyntjies / Penguinkids PreschoolOverberg, Western Cape
We help preschoolers by providing Early Childhood Development Skills
Telephone021 637 8158
Address335A Klipfontein Road,Athlone, Cape Flats, Western Cape
Do you represent an organisation?Register your Cause